October 05, 2009

Cheese Drop Biscuits

This recipe was adapted from Art Smith, personal chef to Oprah and owner of Table 52 in Chicago. Very easy to make and absolutely amazing little biscuits. I am not a huge fan of goat cheese so I have stayed clear of this recipe for way to long. I kept hearing how awesome they were so I had to give it a try. The restaurant serves them before your meal as a bread appetizer in a cast iron pan brought piping hot right to your table. I made them Saturday night and not one little muffin is left. The ingredients are cheap and easy so I think I will make another batch tonight. I am going to try and mix some cheddar cheese with the parmesan to give it a little added taste. Maybe we can just call them cheese drop biscuits!!! 


Goat Cheese Drop Biscuits/Muffins



2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoon cold butter, plus extra to greese pan
2 tablespoons (2 ounces) shredded goat cheese
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons mayonnaise

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Here I used a muffin pan instead of a cast iron pot and placed it in the oven while it was heating up. The recipe will make about 12 muffins.



Mix flour and salt into a  bowl, then cut the cold butter into tiny pieces and mix with flour and mix in the shredded goat cheese. Slowly pour in the milk and mayonnaise. Stir until the mix is moistened. Remove the hot pan from the oven and place a dab of butter into each muffin cup. When the butter has melted, put batter into each cup and fill half way with the batter. Brush the top of the biscuits with the melted butter. 


Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake 5 more minutes until browned on the top and bottom.


Enjoy warm!!!!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Those look amazing!!!
I have gotten the herb goat cheese before and it's great! Wonder how that would be in the biscuits?
Hmmm....