November 05, 2009

Kiss My Grits

What exactly is a grit? Growing up in the South grits have been a part of my life since before I can remember and it was often on our menu for breakfast. We had cheese grits, instant grits, grits with shrimp, yellow grits, white grits, etc., etc. But I really never thought about what's in a grit. So I google "grit" and find that they are small broken grains of corn. That does not sound very appetizing but mixed with heavy cream, and alot of butter they are amazingly delicious. Take it from a resturant that has put these little grains on their menu and made them famous. Zea's roasted corn grits are a must every time I dine at their restaurant. I found a few different recipes on the web but they were all missing a little something or had to much of something else. So after much trial and error, and many different taste testers (thanks guys!!), I have found what may be the closest thing to the real deal.

Zea's Roasted Corn Grits


2 cups water
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup yellow grits (not the instant kind)
4 ounces butter (1 stick)
1 cup roasted/grilled corn
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup green onion tops

To grill the corn you can do it the right way: 1- lightly butter corn on the cob and place on grill over open fire until corn is slightly blackened let cool and shuck corn off the cob. Or you can do it the easy way: 2- drain can of corn and roast in skillet with spoonful of butter until slightly blackened. Salt and pepper to taste.

To make the grits bring water to a boil. Add heavy cream and return to boil. Add grits, salt and butter and simmer for about 20 minutes (make sure you add salt here, if you cook the grits without salt it is very hard to get them salty after they are cooked). Turn off heat and stir in roasted corn and half of the onion tops, garnish with remaining onion tops.



1 comment:

Mike d said...

I believe this dish is about 800 calories! Lighten it up for me girl. I think I just gained weight looking at it!